Recommendations and Related Products
- State Infrastructure Recommendations
This document is a PDF version of the recommendations. You can read real-life examples from around the United States for each recommendation on each essential element page: Authorize, Lead, Partner, Examine, Build and Guide.
- Data Supplement Recommendations
This detailed supplement to the Recommendations for State Suicide Prevention Infrastructure can help state and local leaders understand the data resources and systems needed to effectively direct suicide prevention efforts.
- Summary Recommendations for State Suicide Prevention Infrastructure
The summary recommendations provide an overview of the essential elements for state infrastructure. This document also contains an editable section to provide your audience with information relevant to your state.
- The State of State, Territorial, and Tribal Suicide Prevention: Findings from Reviews of Suicide Prevention Plans
CDC conducted an environmental scan of state and territorial suicide prevention plans to better understand the current infrastructure and suicide prevention landscape among states, territories, and tribes (STT); to identify resource levels; and to inform comprehensive prevention in the future.
- State Infrastructure Success Stories
This series of success stories highlights real-life examples of states that built infrastructure essential for advancing suicide prevention.
- Building State Infrastructure in Your State (Archived Webinar)
In this archived webinar, presenters from SPRC, the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention, and NAMI New Hampshire explore the Infrastructure Recommendations and how you can use them to build suicide prevention infrastructure in your state.
- Creating a Stronger Data Infrastructure for Suicide Prevention (Archived Webinar)
This archived webinar highlights six concrete recommendations for creating infrastructure to support data-driven decision-making. Presenters from Colorado and Texas also share examples of how these recommendations have been applied in their states to build a stronger data infrastructure.
Tools for Implementation
- Assessing Community Suicide Prevention Needs: A Workbook for State Coordinators NEWLY ADDED!
The purpose of this workbook is to help state suicide prevention coordinators determine whether to conduct CNAs in local communities, and if so, how to prepare to conduct one.
- Getting Started Guide
This Getting Started Guide helps states implement the Recommendations for State Suicide Prevention Infrastructure.
- Essential Elements Assessment Tool
This worksheet helps users identify the essential elements from the Recommendations for State Suicide Prevention Infrastructurethat your state currently has in place and/or that are missing from your state’s suicide prevention infrastructure.
- Timeline Development Worksheet
This worksheet is designed to help you develop a timeline for each phase of your state’s infrastructure development in conjunction with the Getting Started Guide.
- State Infrastructure Summary Checklist
This checklist is an interactive version of the summary recommendations and provides users with an editable section to add notes.
- Suicide State Fact Sheets (from the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention)
These fact sheets contain state-specific information about existing suicide prevention leadership structure and legislation. They also include data to help you make the case for improving infrastructure in your state.
- State Suicide Prevention Coordinator Position Descriptions
This packet of position descriptions contains real-life examples from three U.S. states that can be used in full or in part by any state.
- State Suicide Prevention Plans and Leadership Guidance
This document describes the key elements and characteristics that serve as the underpinning for effective state suicide prevention plans.
- Using SPRC’s State Suicide Prevention Infrastructure Recommendations – Talking Points for Advocates (from the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention)
This handy resource will help you prepare for, meet with, and follow up with policy makers regarding your state’s infrastructure.
- Cover Letter for State Policymakers
This cover letter, written by former Senators Linda Newell and Randall Head, introduces their fellow state policymakers to the summary recommendations for State Suicide Prevention Infrastructure and makes a compelling case for states to shift their focus from crisis response to prevention. You can use this resource when talking with your state’s policymakers about suicide prevention infrastructure.
- State Infrastructure Promotional Slides
This PowerPoint slide set can be downloaded and used in your presentations to promote the Infrastructure Recommendations. It provides a brief overview of the recommendations, as well as a deep dive into the many tools available to support implementation.
- State and Territorial Suicide Prevention Needs Assessment Homepage NEWLY ADDED!
This homepage is your one-stop shop for resources on SPRC’s State and Territorial Suicide Prevention Needs Assessment, an annual survey that examines the suicide prevention infrastructure and capacity of U.S. states and territories.