Suicide Prevention among LGBT Youth: A Workshop for Professionals Who Serve Youth
(For resources, this is the publication date. For programs, this is the date posted.)
Individual file download links:
- Packet of Handouts for Suicide Prevention among LGBT Youth Workshop.pdf
- Leader’s Guide for Suicide Prevention among LGBT Youth Workshop.pdf
- Main Slide Presentation for Suicide Prevention among LGBT Youth Workshop.pptx
- Youth Voices Slide Presentation for Suicide Prevention among LGBT Youth Workshop.pptx
Suicide Prevention among LGBT Youth: A Workshop for Professionals Who Serve Youth, developed by the Suicide Prevention Resource Center, is a free kit of materials to help staff in schools, youth-serving agencies, and suicide prevention programs provide a workshop on suicide prevention among LGBT youth. Individuals attending this workshop may include teachers, school administrators, child welfare staff, clergy, group home staff, juvenile justice staff, foster parents, therapists, and recreation workers.
Topics covered include suicidal behavior among LGBT youth, protective factors for suicidal behavior, strategies to reduce suicide risk, and ways to increase school or agency cultural competence. Materials in the kit include a PowerPoint slide presentation, leader’s guide, and handouts. Instructional methods include lecture, small group exercises, and group discussion. The workshop kit provides a foundation from which leaders can adapt the workshop to meet their needs and the needs of their audience. Leaders are welcome to shorten or lengthen the workshop from the suggested 4-hour format. They may also add materials specific to local programs, resources, or activities.
The goal of this workshop is to build the capacity of schools, youth-serving organizations, and suicide prevention programs to identify and serve LGBT youth who are suicidal. At the end of the workshop participants will be able to:
- Use correct terminology for suicidal behavior and LGBT issues;
- Describe research related to suicidal behavior among LGBT youth;
- Discuss risk and protective factors for suicidal behavior in LGBT youth;
- Assess the cultural competence of their schools and agencies in relation to LGBT youth, and plan next steps for increasing LGBT cultural competence; and
- Describe strategies to reduce suicidal behavior among LGBT youth.
- Workshop facilitators should have knowledge and experience in both suicide prevention and LGBT issues.
- Workshop facilitators should have knowledge of local helping resources.
2012 NSSP Objectives Addressed:
Objective 5.3: Intervene to reduce suicidal thoughts and behaviors in populations with suicide risk.
Objective 7.1: Provide training on suicide prevention to community groups that have a role in the prevention of suicide and related behaviors.