Depression and bipolar wellness guides for parents and teens
(For resources, this is the publication date. For programs, this is the date posted.)
See This Resource
These two guides were developed to help parents and their teen children better understand and monitor treatment for depression and bipolar disorder.
The Depression and Bipolar Wellness Guide for Parents of Children and Teens with Depression or Bipolar Disorder is intended for use by parents of children or teens diagnosed with major depression, dysthymia, or bipolar disorder. This guide addresses mood disorders, treatment, monitoring of treatment, working together as a family, and a three-step wellness approach. The guide also includes descriptions of worsening signs such as suicidal thoughts, and includes a diary for tracking mood, medications, and other aspects of treatment, which can be reviewed with a therapist or doctor. The Depression and Bipolar Wellness Guide for Teens with Depression or Bipolar Disorder is intended for use by teens diagnosed with major depression, dysthymia, or bipolar disorder. This guide addresses practical questions that teens often have regarding these disorders and their treatment, including: “How can treatment help?” “How are these disorders treated?” “What if I don’t want to talk to my parents or doctors about this?” and “What if I feel worse?” Recommendations for enhancing treatment effectiveness, including a three-step wellness approach, are also included.
After using one of the guides, parents and teens should:
• Have increased understanding of depression, bipolar disorder and their treatment.
• Have increased knowledge of a three-step wellness approach that may increase treatment adherence and effectiveness.
• Have increased awareness of suicidal behavior, including symptoms and preventive interventions, as they relate to young people diagnosed with depression or bipolar disorder.
• The parent and teen Guides are intended for use by those already in treatment.
• Parents and their children should use these guides together, in collaboration with their therapist or doctor.
The Depression and bipolar wellness guide for parents of children and teens with depression or bipolar disorder and the Depression and bipolar wellness guide for teens with depression or bipolar disorder are sold as a set @ 11.95 each. Shipping charges range from $5 – $27 depending on the weight of the quantity ordered.