Instructions to Comment on FCC Hotline Proposal
January 17, 2020
News Type: Weekly Spark, Weekly Spark Announcement
As you may have heard, the National Suicide Hotline Improvement Act of 2018 required the Federal Communications Commission (FCC), Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA), and Veterans Crisis Line (VCL) to study the feasibility of designating a three-digit dialing code for a national suicide prevention and mental health crisis hotline system. A report of the study’s findings has been written and submitted to Congress. Based on review reports by SAMHSA and the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) and a review of public comments, the FCC has proposed rulemaking to transition 1-800-273-8255(TALK) to 988. To comment on the proposed rulemaking:
- Read the FCC’s proposal.
- Visit the FCC “Submit a Filing” webpage.
- Type “Implementation of the National Suicide Hotline Improvement Act of 2018” into the Proceeding(s) box.
- Click on “Implementation of the National Suicide Hotline Improvement Act of 2018” within the Proceeding(s) box.
- Complete the remaining required text box information (name, address, city, etc.).
- Upload your comments in the Upload Documents section (your comments must be in pdf, text, ppt, docx, xlsx, doc, xls, rtf, or dwg format before uploading).