News & Highlights
This section presents news and highlights from SPRC and the suicide prevention field. Use the filters on the left to find the following items:
- Weekly Spark, SPRC’s online newsletter, containing brief news articles, research summaries, announcements, and funding opportunities. Subscribe to the Weekly Spark.
- Director’s Corner, a monthly column by SPRC leadership and guest authors.
- From the Field, innovative activities being implemented in states, communities, healthcare organizations, and other settings.
- Prevention in Practice stories highlight innovation in suicide prevention.
- Surveillance Success Stories focus on using data to inform suicide prevention efforts.
- State Infrastructure Success Stories highlight real-life examples of states that have built infrastructure essential for advancing suicide prevention.
Displaying 13 results. Refine results using the filters on the left.
December 14, 2018
With new CDC data showing continued increases in suicide rates over the past 18 years, the public conversation is focusing more and...
November 09, 2018
November is National Native American Heritage Month—a time to celebrate the many important contributions of indigenous people, including their distinct history,...
October 05, 2018
Our national conversation about suicide prevention has included a recent focus on the increased risk of suicide among Black children...
September 07, 2018
It’s September, and that means we’re all marking Suicide Prevention Day/Week/Month—my 11th annual observance since joining SPRC in September 2007....
August 10, 2018
I often reflect on how fortunate we are, in suicide prevention and related fields, to work with such compassionate people,...
July 13, 2018
Amid all the news coverage about suicide in the past few weeks, you may have noticed a surprising new statistic from the...
June 08, 2018
Last year, the Netflix show 13 Reasons Why made quite an impact. Teens and young adults were mesmerized by a show that...
May 18, 2018
People who are in distress or experiencing a suicidal crisis should be able to walk into any health care setting...
April 06, 2018
In my work with states, tribes, campuses, and institutions around the country, I’m often asked, “What program should I use...
March 02, 2018
Communication has changed in the 10 years since I started at SPRC, especially in our virtual lives. On my ride...
February 09, 2018
Elizabeth Tupa, PhD; Adam Chu, MPH Primary care is a key setting for suicide prevention. Research has shown that individuals...
January 12, 2018
We’ve known for many years that substance use and suicide are connected. But in recent years, that connection has grown...
January 05, 2018
One Issue, One Goal—Jerry Reed Changing the Story—Jarrod Hindman Get Ready for School—Jerry Reed Start with What You Know: Using...