Mental Health Resources
Download a text version of this module: Mental Health Resources
About This Module
Many suicide prevention programs for colleges and universities focus on recognizing suicide warning signs and encouraging students to get help—so it is imperative that mental health support is available and easily accessible to students who seek it. Before starting any prevention efforts aimed at increasing help seeking on campus and in the community, campuses should first make sure they have the capacity to address an increase in the demand for mental health services by students.
Addressing the mental health needs of students is a critical component of a comprehensive approach to preventing suicide. However, due to tight budgets, campus counseling centers are often understaffed and overburdened. Also, not every college or university has a counseling center on campus. If this is the situation on your campus, it’s essential to identify alternative strategies for addressing the need. You can do this by following these steps:
- Boost students’ health and well-being before they are in crisis
- Modify mental health services to meet the needs of more students
- Determine who you can partner with on- and off-campus to provide mental health support
Identifying and implementing a variety of options for addressing student mental health needs will allow you to be better prepared to serve your students and to reach more students who need help.
In this module you can explore the steps involved in addressing mental health needs, and some questions and challenges you might face.
A downloadable text version (PDF) of all module content is available.
The worksheets in the module are also listed below for easy access. They can be downloaded and completed as you move through the steps described in this module.
- Worksheet: Assess Mental Health Services
- Worksheet: Identify Services That Promote Student Well-Being
- Worksheet: Assess Your Referral Network
- Worksheet: Enhance or Modify Campus Counseling Services
- Worksheet: Address Gaps in Services
- Worksheet: Incorporate Wellness Activities
- Worksheet: Build and Strengthen Your Referral Network
The Jed Foundation and Education Development Center. (2011). CampusMHAP: A guide to campus mental health action planning. Newton, MA: Education Development Center, Inc.