Oklahoma State University-Okmulgee
The Suicide Prevention Program at Oklahoma State University-Okmulgee, Oklahoma, is a proactive program designed to identify students who are at-risk and in need of behavioral health education support. To promote over-all effectiveness in improving quality of life, education will be implemented through the creation of a comprehensive public health approach that engages key players in the college and community agencies. A safety-net will be established by infrastructure building through implementation of the six allowable activities.
The operational goals of the Student Assistance Program are to:
- Provide educational and training services to the college community in areas of suicide awareness, substance abuse issues, interpersonal skills, group counseling, and stress management.
- Train and counsel student clients in effective techniques for managing stress, substance abuse issues, dysfunctional families, and peer relationships.
- Assist students in developing a positive self-concept.
- Train and counsel student clients in interpersonal skills.
- Provide an intervention service for those students who are identified as having substance abuse problems.
- Provide an intervention service for those students who are identified as having difficulties dealing with stress, dysfunctional families, peers, and personal and school related adjustments.
- Facilitate and promote long term counseling for students who are identified as being in need of such service.
The management goals of the Student Assistance Program are to:
- Develop and maintain links with appropriate outside agencies, which can assist in the delivery of program services.
- Organize and implement an effective internal referral system.
- Organize and implement an effective external referral system.
- Organize and manage a communication and record keeping system, which promotes and enhances a team approach to the operation of the program.
The program services are provided in four venues: educational services, intervention services, counseling services, and group services.